Thursday, January 10, 2013

Kaisercraft Pickled Pear Cigar Box

This Christmas I transferred my childhood Super 8mm home movies to dvd for my two sisters. It was an emotional project as my parents have been gone for a very long time. To say I was excited is an understatment!  As the holiday drew nearer I decided I wanted a special presentation for the gift so I stepped out of my "box" to alter cigar boxes.

I chose Kaisercraft's Pickled Pear collection because its soft shade of blue was my mother's favorite color and the vintage icons were images that suited the nature of my project.  To diffuse the yellow-ish green in the paper (just didn't love that color in this particular project) I used Stampendous Embossing Enamel in Shabby White and Frantage Mica that I melted onto the paper with a heat gun.  Using Mod Podge I decoupaged the paper to the box - even covering the insides. Next I added a lace trim to the lid's edge.  Then the fun really began!  I cut out a vintage camera and clock face from the paper to decorate the lid; applying Glossy Accents to the clock face to create a slick-looking finish.  Flowers from Petaloo and a paper doily also served as accents.  For the title I printed "Gundersdorff Family Movies" on printer paper so I could mark where it printed.  Then taking the actual Pickled Pear decorative paper I used a removable adhesive to line it up over the printer paper then re-ran it through the printer. Next I adhered it to a chipboard bracket shape from my stash and filed the edges to a smooth finish.

For the inside of the lid I layered several old family photos with more Pickled Pear journal cards cut from one of the papers, more flowers, leftover lace trim, and pearls.  The inside bottom of the box was only layered with a few journal cards to keep the base flat for housing the dvds.

 Christmas night is an evening I think we will all remember.  My sisters and I all cried and hugged while our children and husbands looked on.  Then we enjoyed viewing some of the movies together reliving the love and happiness of our childhood.



No comments:

Post a Comment