Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Making a Focal Point


 MAKING AS A FOCAL POINT

By Rae Missigman
March 21, 2015

Creating a focal point in a piece is something that is achieved differently for each artist. 
 I don't always sit down and think "focal point" when I start creating. Usually, if my journal page or canvas has one dominant area of focus, it morphed into the piece on it's own. On other occasions I add something in that will help bring the piece together, a large sketched element or a bold colorful word.
Mark making and focal points. It is an interesting concept.

I am drawn to marks and the way they present themselves in art. I tend to "love" pieces of a piece, rather than entire work sometimes. These are usually the details drawing me in.
To help create a true focal point using marks I centered my art on the page and built up from there, not allowing the elements to stray too far from the original center. I think this helps illustrate to the viewer the intended heart of the art journal page.

March Theme
Making Your Mark (Doodles & Mark Making)
March 21
Art Challenge:  As a Focal Point
Journal Prompt:  Coming into Focus

SIMPLE STEPS I TOOK TO USE MARK MAKING AS A FOCAL POINT


As I built on the center layers, paint and color played a big role. Because I did not want to extend too far beyond my original color block, I had to build with balance. I am used to taking things to the edge and working within these bounds was a challenge. The more detail marks I added along the way the more the center came into focus. At the same time, it became clear to me the importance of doing what you love. Exploring a new idea or technique is exciting and interesting but you have to love it in order to find yourself re-discovering it over and over. When it comes to creating, I  know I need to keep a clear mind about what works for me, because when I do, it all comes into focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment