Monday, June 29, 2015

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

Our next group meeting is on

Saturday July 4th 12-3 and
Friday July 10th 12-3 PM & 6-9 PM

Please bring some photos to art journal this month.  I will have some paints for us to play with! 

June Theme
Travel Journaling


June 27

Art Challenge: Photos and Words
Journal Prompt:  A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words


Here is how Sandi Keene took on the challenge. Link to her blog
Long ago I worked for a company that created Mosaic Moments. When I read this prompt, I immediately thought of a mosaic as it is such an interesting way to present a photo. I contacted the owner, Tami Potter and she sent me out some mosaic paper. (Thanks, Tami!)
I printed a vacation photo (5" x 5" but any size works) I loved of my husband in a swing on the porch reading a book and pausing regularly to look at the stunning mountain views. In delightfully cool temperatures. With hummingbirds buzzing around the feeder on the porch.  Can you say PERFECT?!
I cut the photo into one inch squares using the mat, exacto and ruler. It takes less than a minute. The system is designed for easy success.
Now I transfer the squares onto the gridded paper that lines everything up.
Hello, mosaic!
I had an idea of exactly how this was to look when I was done. Now came the hard part of transferring that idea onto paper. Incorporating the mosaic into art was always my plan. I sketched out a basic plan for where the elements were to be. And then I started painting.
Adding random squares from another photo printed to blend into the background was a touch of whimsy. I decided that it was not enough whimsy so out came my doodle pens in medium and fine. And then white
A picture is worth a thousand words!
Want more info on how to create a mosaic? This short video shows the process step by step.
You can join our group meetings at any time, but you do need to call us to get your name on the list.
 I want to be sure we have room for everyone.  

 When you come to the group meetings, please bring your paper towels, heat guns, paint brushes, adhesives and color mediums of choice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment