Thursday, May 19, 2011

The first shall be last?

Hi from Gina A!
Soooo - I was so happy to be the FIRST to complete this month's Design Team layout...1. Because I've never been first and I was happy to finally reach that honor and 2. because I absolutely LOVE the layout I created! (More about that in a moment!)

So... how did I get to be first? Well, I scrapped at the three-day crop on April 29,30 and May 1st and I used that time to create this layout PLUS two gift books, and a GAZILLION other layouts!!! (OK, maybe not THAT many, but if you've seen the pic Tracy posted of me with all my "stuff" you'll know I got lots accomplished!) If you were there that weekend you already know how much fun the 3-day crop was... please give Tracy your feedback - I'm hoping we'll be able to have another soon!!! And if you missed out, for goodness sakes, sign up quickly for the next one! I promise you'll have a ball and you'll have lots of time to accomplish a lot of art, too.

Now, how did the "first" get to be "last"???? Well, I was so happy with my layout that I placed it on the Design Team wall immediately and kept forgetting to blog - geesh! Does it justify my tardiness if I tell you that the subject of my layout - my beautiful daughter, Caitlin, GRADUATED FROM COLLEGE last weekend?!?!? So, in my defense, I was busy MAKING MEMORIES for future layouts instead of taking time to blog :)

Anyway, here it is - finally! - for those of you who haven't already seen it in the store. I thought this line was perfect for these Cayman Islands pics of my daughter and her friend on spring break last year. I've loved the photos but hadn't scrapped them yet since I hadn't found "just the right" paper and this line fit the bill with the beachy colors and turtles in the design. I used one of our paper edging punches to highlight the striped paper under the journaling block and on the right page border. A little inking of those edges brings attention to the punched detail.

This was my first layout using the very trendy "banner" look and I loved how it turned out for my title. (I used my handy Signo uniball white pen to make the "Turtle Love" letters on the banner flags) Die cuts, buttons, the flags and hearts were all embellishments from the paper line so I didn't have to do any work for matching. You'll note I pop-dotted the "swirlies" over the paper design under the "Welcome" photo. I thought that helped draw the eye to the turtles printed on the paper.

(BTW, the ladybug chipboard accent in the corner of that photo is in honor of Cait's membership in ASA Sorority since the ladybug is their mascot. Try putting little "secret" embellishments on your layouts to add special meaning - did you ever notice Allie Edwards early layouts of her son Simon always include an "S" in the design somewhere? - and another published scrapper I've seen adds a "hidden mickey" to every Disney page she designs... fun stuff to add personal meaning to your family's scrapbooks!)

Hope this layout and those of my fellow Design Team members give you some inspiration for creating your own fun layouts. Stop in to see us at the store soon!

Gina A.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment